Updated: Sep 28, 2020
Fall means warm comfort meals and nothing says more comforting than a big bowl of chili. Finished with a sprinkle of cheddar, diced red onions and a piece of bread, this meal will make anyone feel content after a long day.
While regular chili with ground beef is technically not unhealthy, it is not a meal you should eat everyday. Red meat is a great source of iron and protein, but should be eaten less than other proteins due to the high saturated fat content. I make this chili with ground turkey instead and I believe, it is equally delicious! This dish also is very cheap, will feed many people and you will have lots of leftovers. When you come home from apple picking, heat up a bowl and curl up in your blanket!
1 lb Lean Ground Turkey
1 Large Sweet Yellow Onion, Chopped (about 2 cups)
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Large Cloves of Garlic, Rough Chopped (around 1 tbsp)
1 tbsp + 1 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Cayenne (reduce to 1/2 or 1/4 tsp if you do not like spicy)
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup Low Sodium Chicken Stock
1/2 cup Water
3 - 15.5 oz Cans of Your Favorite Beans (I used 1 can pink beans, 1 can pinto and 1 can kidney), drained and rinsed!
2 cups No Salt Added Crushed Tomatoes (Hunts Brand) - used a 28oz can and used around 3/4 of it)
2 - 10 oz Cans Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilis (Mild)
Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Low-fat Sour Cream
Diced Red Onion
1. In a large pot, heat the oil on medium-high heat and add the onions. Sauté for 3-4 min or until translucent in color, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
3. Add your meat to the pot. Using a wooden spoon, continuously break up the meat and mix into the onion mixture until fully cooked and small crumbles (4-5 min).
4. Add seasonings, beans, tomato products, chicken stock and water. Cook on medium-low for 20 min and then on low heat for an additional 40 min, stirring occasionally. If the liquid evaporates too much, add an additional 1/2 cup of chicken stock.
5. Serve with the Optional Toppings listed above :)