Juicy Baked Turkey Meatballs
Sometimes I’m just craving meatballs and I cannot explain why. These meatballs are great because they have that savory/meaty taste that you crave without consuming red meat. So, you can have these multiple times a week without worrying about too much red meat in your diet. You also are satisfying the craving without sacrificing anything with a “diet”. This recipe is the way I live…I make what I want to eat, but in a healthy way! I never compromise on flavor!!!
I also love these meatballs because they are easy and have an easy clean-up! I bake my meatballs for 3 reasons: 1) It is a healthier option than frying. 2) It is easier because I can pop them into the oven and go do other things instead of watching them and 3) It is an easier cleanup because there is no splatter from frying and the sheet pan is basically clean from the parchment paper, it just needs a quick rinse.
Your family will love these meatballs, I promise! Just tell them they are meatballs and add them to your sauce…see their reactions before telling them they are turkey! These meatballs are moist from the greek yogurt and have great flavor from the spices and cheese I add. I hope you and your family/friends enjoy this savory yummy dinner!
Makes: 21 Medium Sized Meatballs
1/2 cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1 lb - 93% Lean Ground Turkey
1 Jumbo Egg
3 tbsp Non-fat Greek Yogurt
1 tsp Granulated Garlic
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tbsp Dried Chopped Onions (McCormick brand)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 cup Good Quality Grated Pecorino Cheese (I use Locatelli)
Your Favorite Pasta Sauce + if you would like to add onions, garlic and/or spices to the sauce
Ingredient Ideas for Serving the Meatballs With:
Serve as a Meatball Sub (in a sub roll with sauce and melted mozzarella cheese on top)
Over Zucchini Noodles (the photo above uses these noodles)
Over Your Favorite GF Noodle
Over Palm Noodles (I use Palmini brand sometimes)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
3. Using your hands, combine all of the above ingredients in a medium bowl until it is a uniform mixture if formed.
4. Make medium sized balls and space them about a 1/2 an inch apart on the sheet tray. (You should be able to fit 7 length wise and 3 width wise).
5. Cook for 20 min at 350 and then broil for 2-3 min or until lightly browned. Add the meatballs to your favorite sauce and serve over your noodle of choice! I served mine over zucchini noodles!