You don’t need to spend thousands and travel to Hawaii to get AMAZING Hawaiian chicken. You can make it at home, with affordable, healthy ingredients AND it is easy too! CAN I GET A HELL YEAHHHH?!?! This recipe hits that sweet and savory kick. It is so flavorful and is lactose free and can be made gluten free….so anyone can enjoy this recipe! It is also a great meal to entertain because it has such a pretty presentation! Make this dish for your friends and family, but don’t let them know how easy it is (hehe).
Serves 4 (if it is 2 thighs per person)
8 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
1 1/2 cup Crushed Pineapple with Juices from a 20 oz can
1 - 13.5 oz can Light Coconut Milk
1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
1 tbsp Chili Garlic Sauce (you can find it in the international isle of the grocery store)
3 tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce (or tamarind if GF)
2 tbsp Honey
3/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Freshly Grated Ginger...using a micro plane or the smallest grate on your cheese grater
1 can Pineapple Slices - drained (for serving)
3 Scallions - thinly sliced (for serving)
Spray Oil (for the pan)
Salt and Pepper (for seasoning)
1. Combine all of the ingredients, besides the “for serving”, “for seasoning” and “for the pan” ingredients, in a large bowl and marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
3. Spray a sheet tray with the oil spray, place the thighs on the tray (it is okay if some sauce is there as well, AND RESERVE THE MARINADE), season with salt and pepper and cook 35 minutes.
3. While the chicken is cooking, pour the remaining marinade in a sauce pan. Bring the sauce to a boil and then turn to medium low (simmer) and cook for 15 minutes. Once done cooking, turn the heat on low to keep the sauce warm.
4. When the chicken is done cooking, take the tray out and cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Top each chicken piece with the sauce, a pineapple slice, scallions and season with a little salt; serve immediately with jasmine or coconut rice and an asian style slaw!