Gaby’s Easy Chicken Cacciatore
I love making healthy recipes, but I love showing people that it doesn’t have to be hard! The only “hard” part of this recipe is browning the chicken in the pan for a short time and cooking the garlic. The rest of the “cooking” process is throwing everything in a casserole dish and baking! IT IS THAT SIMPLE. You can have flavorful, healthy and DELICIOUS chicken with minimal effort….just don’t tell your guests that (hahaha).
Serves 4-5 if it is 2 thighs per person
2 tbsp Light Oil
Spray Canola Oil
8 Bone-In Chicken Thighs
1/2 tbsp + 2 tsp Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper to Season
2 - 14 oz Frozen Bags Peppers and Onions
10.2 oz Container (1 cup) Kalamata olives + 1 tbsp of the brine
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Salt
5 cloves of Garlic - roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a large casserole dish or throw away aluminum casserole dish with spray canola oil.
2. Heat the light oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season tops of the chicken with 1/2 tbsp garlic powder and generously with salt and pepper.
3. When the pan is hot, place the chicken pieces skin side down. Cook 3 min on the first side, flip and cook an additional minute. Using a fork, transfer the thighs skin side up to the sprayed casserole dish, but keep the oil in the pan. On medium high heat, cook the chopped garlic in the remaining oil for 30-45 seconds or until aromatic. Pour the garlic oil over the chicken thighs.
4. Spread the two bags of peppers, olives and olive juice over the tops of the chicken. Evenly season the top with the oregano, 2 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp salt.
5. Place the casserole dish in the preheated oven and cook for 55 minutes. Remove from the oven and mix the peppers, onions and olives into the chicken with a slotted spoon. Using the slotted spoon, serve the chicken with lots of onions, peppers and olives and serve with your choice of a side!