Agrodolce (Sweet & Sour) Baked Eggplant
I feel like only way people know how to cook eggplant is to cook eggplant parmesan. I am here to give you a new option that is not only delicious, but also healthy! Agrodolce in Italian means sour sweet. I know this flavor combo sounds weird, but it actually works! The Italians really know their food, and I am happy to have that culture in my blood.
I know this recipe sounds like a long, but it is simple! After topping with the onion mixture on the eggplant, you can place the eggplant in the oven and then you can entertain guests and/or make a salad or make whatever else you would like to serve with this eggplant dish! It is like a "set it and forget it" recipe! Enjoy everyone :)
Serves 4 (if serving the full half as the main dish)
Serves 8 (if the halves are cut in half and served as a side)
2 Sweet Onions - cut in half and thinly sliced (3 cups sliced)
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
6.5 oz Jar Marinated Quartered Artichokes - roughly chopped
2 1/2 tbsp Thai Sweet Chili Sauce
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Honey
2 Medium Eggplants - tops cut off and cut in half
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the balsamic, honey, sweet chili sauce, oil, and soy sauce in a medium bowl. Add the onions and artichokes, and thoroughly mix until combined.
3. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper and place the 4 eggplant halves skin side down.
4. Evenly add the onion/artichoke mixture on top of the eggplant halves.
5. Bake for 1 hour and 20 min or until the eggplant halves are soft.
6. Cut the halves into quarters and serve as a side or serve the full half as a main dish.