I never thought I would win over my mother with a vegetable cake, but for some reason…this cake did it. These were her words: “these taste meaty”. Now I know she doesn’t mean the flavor of meat…more like an enjoyable texture. To be honest, I have to agree with her. She also said she wants to put this garlic sauce on everything…so I guess that is a good sign (hahaha)?
A lot of these recipes are being created because I cannot go to the store (because of Covid) and have to figure out what to do with what we have. I love it when something amazing is born out of something we all would be like “ehh, it is just frozen vegetables”. This recipe is great because you probably have all of the ingredients already in your house! It is cheap, yummy and healthy! I used gluten free flour and almond flour to make it 100% gluten free and because I like the taste of almond flour. However, you can use regular All Purpose flour if you do not have GF flours on hand.
Veggie cakes right out of the oven!
Veggies food processed:
Veggie cakes with garlic sauce over salad
Serves: 3 (makes 7 cakes)
Serving Size = 2 cakes per person
Veggie Cake Ingredients:
1/4 cup almond flour (can use All Purpose Flour if you do not have this ingredient)
1/4 cup Gluten Free Flour - I use Cup4Cup (can use All Purpose Flour if you do not have this ingredient)
1 lb bag frozen stir fry
1/2 of a 1lb bag (8 oz) frozen spinach
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
7 tbsp parmesan cheese (1 tbsp per cake)
2 1/2 tbsp Greek yogurt
1 tbsp + 1 tsp mayo
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 + 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp water
1. Preheat the oven to 375
2. Defrost vegetables (can use the microwave or leave them out to defrost) and then wring the vegetables out using a kitchen towel. Make sure to squeeze as much water out of them as possible!
3. Transfer the vegetables to a food processor and food process until the vegetables are a minced size (around 10-15 seconds).
4. Add the vegetables to a large bowl tied the rest of the ingredients. Mix until it is a uniform mixture (it should be a wet mixture)
5. Using a sheet tray, line it with parchment paper. Create medium sized patties (should make 7) and place them with even spacing on the sheet tray.
6. Bake in the oven for 17 minutes.
7. While the cakes are cooking, make combine the ingredients for the garlic sauce in a small bowl.
8. When the cakes are at 17 min, add 1 tbsp on shredded parmesan cheese on each cake and then broil for 2 min, or until the cheese is melted.
9. Serve the cakes over an Italian dressed salad, on a bun like a burger, or as an open faced sandwich over really good bread.