Don’t run away from this recipe!!! Yes, I know you see vegan and tofu and think to yourself “gross”. I was the same way about a year ago. However, the word “vegan” has really gotten a bad rap. People need to have an open mind and just go for it. I have tried some amazing vegan inspired dishes and was shocked that it was vegan!!! I also like experimenting with extremes in cooking/diets and figuring out how I can convince people with normal diets to try foods out of their comfort zone.
This recipe is a great way at getting so much plant based protein with low fat and low carb. Not only are you helping the plant, you are also helping your body! Yes it is tofu, but it is ground up so fine and combined with the spices/flavors and toppings, you can’t even taste it. ENJOY!!!! <3
Serves 4 (3 lettuce tacos per person)
12 Bibb, boston or Romain leaves
1 Block of extra firm tofu
1 Medium yellow onion - chopped (around 1 cup)
1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
1 cup shredded carrots
1 can Goya pink beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup Pace medium salsa
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp Shredded cheddar (or vegan cheese) per taco
1-2 avocados chopped or my fresh guac recipe
2 medium vine plum tomatoes or 1 large tomato - chopped (1 cup)
1 tbsp of Your favorite salsa (optional)
Yogurt Lime Sauce Ingredients:
1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
1. Un-package your tofu and drain it. Using a towel and something heavy (I used a teapot filled with water), put the tofu on a plate with the towel and the heavy item. Press the tofu for at least 25 minutes.
2. Heat the canola or vegetable oil over high heat and add the onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
3. Using your hands, crumble the tofu in the pan into little pieces. You can use your spoon to break it up more once in the pan. Add the carrots and the spices/seasonings. Mix and sauté on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes or until the tofu is dry.
4. Add the salsa, beans and water, stir again to evenly incorporate everything. Cook on medium heat for 5-6 minutes to blend the flavors and cook off the liquid, stirring occasionally.
5. While the flavors are blending in the tofu mixture, make the lime drizzle sauce.
6. Assemble your tacos! Put a base of the tofu mixture, with the avocado or guac, salsa (if you wanted it), tomatoes, cheese and the sauce. I have the serving size as 3 per person. Serve immediately!