Sweet Potato Cannelloni Bean "Burgers"
I don't know about you guys, but I am always looking for new ways to cook sweet potatoes. I also believe it is good for your body and the environment to incorporate plant based meals once or twice a day. This recipe helps check both of those boxes!
Not only are these burgers full of flavor, they are also packed with protein from the beans! This means that even though it is vegetarian, it will keep you full until your next meal.
I chose to be low carb with this meal and served my "burger" over salad, but it would also be delicious on a bun with some lettuce, tomato and a yogurt sauce on top!
If you do not like sweet potatoes, I hope this recipe will change your mind :)
Makes: 4 medium sized patties
1 patty = 1 serving
1 very large sweet potato or 2 medium (can use yams too!) - peeled and cut into cubes
1 (15.5oz) can of cannelloni beans - rinsed
1-2 tsp adobo low salt seasoning
1-2 tsp garlic powder
1-2 tsp ground pepper
1 medium yellow onion - chopped
1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp ricotta cheese
1/4 cup regular bread crumbs
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
Vegetable or canola oil for pan frying
1. Pre-heat oven to 400
2. Combine cut potatoes and onions on a sheet tray. Top with the garlic powder, adobo, pepper and enough oil to lightly cover
3. Place in the oven while it is pre-heating (my trick when you have a slow oven like mine). Cook for 30-35 min, or until the potatoes are fork tender making sure to mix them halfway through cooking.
4. While the potatoes are cooking, using a medium sized bowl, mash the beans with a potato masher (or water glass if you don’t have one) until it looks like a paste.
5. Dump your potatoes and onions into the bowl with the ricotta cheese and bread crumbs. Mash everything together until uniform.
6. Form the patties and around 1 tbsp heat canola/vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the burgers. Cook 4-5 min on one side adding oil if needed (my patties soaked it up very fast) and then medium heat on the other side.
7. Serve on a bun or a dressed salad!