Need a refreshing, light and easy summer pasta dish as a main dish or side dish? This dish delivers!!! I made this pasta dish as a side dish for grilled lemon chicken thighs at a summer family vacation, but it could also be a great vegetarian option for a main dish. I also love this dish because it is easy, so flavorful, AND it also tastes good cold!
Feeds 4-5 as a Main Dish
16 oz Orzo Pasta
3 tbsp Reserved Pasta Water 2 cups Sliced Cherry Tomatoes - cut in half
1 1/2 cups Yellow Onion - Small Chopped or 1 Medium Yellow Onion
2 tbsp + 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Cloves of Garlic - Minced or 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Dried Basil
1/2 cup Pecorino Romano grated Cheese (I use Locatelli)
4 oz Low-Fat or Non-Fat Crumbled Feta Cheese
2 cups (packed) of Arugula
1. Cook the orzo to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 of a coffee cup of pasta water, drain the rest of the water and set aside for addition later.
2. While the pasta is cooking, using a large, deep dish sauté pan, heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat.
3. Add the onions and sauté until lightly browned, around 4 min, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
5. Add the tomatoes and turn the heat to medium. Sauté the tomatoes for 2 min, stirring occasionally and then add the garlic powder and dried basil.
7. Add pasta, 3 tbsp pasta cooking water, 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, and stir to combine.
8. Turn off heat and add the feta and arugula. Stir until the arugula is wilted. Season with salt and pepper and serve with more pecorino cheese!