I love a good vodka sauce, but I hate how heavy they can be. I set out to create a sauce that would make me feel good after a meal, but still tastes really good! Other benefits of this sauce are that the sauce is easy to make and you can probably find everything in your pantry/fridge.
I would challenge you to serve this to children and see what they think. They will love every bite and WILL clean their plate.
1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce (try to use one as low in sugar as possible and minimal ingredients (we make our own sauce every summer))
1/4 cup vodka
1 ounce cream cheese (or 2 tbsp)
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1. Add your sauce to the a medium sauce pan (skillet) with the vodka. Cook on high for around 3 min to cook off the alcohol and thicken the sauce slightly.
2. Next, if using block cream cheese, heat in the microwave for 15 seconds, or until soft and slightly melted. If using whipped, heat for around 5-10 seconds until also warm and slightly melted. Add the cream cheese to the sauce and using a whisk, incorporate until uniform.
3. Add the balsamic and seasonings and whisk to combine.
4. Cook on medium until thickened slightly and heated through.
5. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add pasta to the sauce when finished or store for another time!