The idea of these meatloafs started when I saw that I had ground turkey and wanted to make something other than turkey burgers or ground turkey lettuce wraps. I wanted something that was easy clean up and that I could pull for a quick meal if needed…that was when the muffin tin mini turkey meat loaf idea was born! I then decided I was going to use greek yogurt for moisture and flavor and also to make this recipe gluten free by using oats instead of bread crumbs. Sorry…I couldn’t make this recipe dairy free, I LOVE cheese in my meatloaf and can’t give that up just yet. Another benefit of this recipe is that they are very moist after cooking, super easy and fast to make, you probably have all of the ingredients on hand, and it is EASY CLEANUP! When “cleaning up”, you will only have to remove the meatloafs with the muffin cups and then the muffin tin IS CLEAN…it’s genius, I know (haha). These little meatloafs are also the perfect appetizer for a party or great for little individual servings for a dinner party. Try something new with that package of ground turkey, and try this easy recipe!
Makes 12 Mini Turkey Meatloafs for Appetizers
Serves 4-6 for Dinner Portions (2-3 mini meatloafs per person depending on how hungry your guests are)
1.3 lbs of 93% Ground Turkey (it is okay if it is little more or less!)
1 Jumbo Egg
3/4 cups Old Fashioned or Rolled Oats
1/2 cup + more for topping of Finely Shredded Mild Cheddar (I used ShopRite Brand)
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1 Medium Carrot - peeled and large shredded using a cheese grater (1/2 cup shredded)
1 Large Shallot - diced (1/2 cup diced)
1/2 cup 2% Milk Fat Greek Yogurt (I used Fage)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Generic Dried Italian Seasoning
1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
Aluminum muffin cups
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using a large bowl and your hands, thoroughly mix all of the ingredients (besides the oil spray and muffin cups) until it is uniform.
3. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with the aluminum muffin cups. Spray the inside of the cups with the cooking spray. Using two spoons, fill each muffin tin with the meat mixture (it should fill each cup slightly over the top of the muffin cups).
4. Top each of the mini meatloafs with cheddar cheese.
5. Bake in the oven for 25 min and then broil for 2-3 min or until lightly browned. Serve with your favorite side!