I LOVE EVERYTHING BUFFALO CHICKEN. I thought it would be perfect to make a buffalo chicken dish on National Chicken Wing Day! So...deep fried chicken wings are one of my guilty pleasures because I am addicted to buffalo sauce. However, I can't have too many wings or I will get a stomach ache. To remedy this, I try to make buffalo things that wont hurt my tummy!
This recipe is one that not only satisfies my buffalo craving, it also makes me not feel completely ill after dinner...**a big plus** (hahah). Serve these at your next football game for a healthy buffalo option or just as a weekly dinner meal. I even made a healthier blue cheese sauce that is almost all made out of greek yogurt! You can now go back for seconds :)
Serves: 2-3 people
1.5-1.75 lb Chicken Breasts (2 large Chicken Breasts) - cut in half width-wise and then cut in half again length-wise.
2 tbsp Canola Oil
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
3 tbsp Your Favorite Bottled Buffalo Sauce (I used Franks Buffalo sauce)
2 large Red Bell Peppers, cut in half and de-seeded
2 tbsp Greek Yogurt
The Low-Fat Blue Cheese Sauce:
1/4 cup Light 1.5% Fat Butter Milk
4 tbsp Crumbled Blue Cheese
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp Greek Yogurt
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tbsp Distilled White Vinegar
3/4 tsp Salt
1 tbsp Mayo
Low-fat cheddar cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place the peppers, skin side down, on a sheet tray a stick them in the oven for 15 minutes.
3. While the peppers cook, heat oil on high and add the chicken. Season with 1 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook on high for 2 min, turn to medium-high heat, flip the chicken and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until fully cooked.
4. Transfer the chicken to a bowl and shred with a fork. Add the buffalo sauce and 2 tbsp greek yogurt. Stir until fully incorporated.
5. Evenly stuff each pepper with the meat mixture. Top each pepper with cheese if desired (I did not top with cheese). Place the peppers back in the oven for an additional 20-25 minutes or until the peppers are softened, but still hold their shape.
6. Mix your blue cheese sauce in a bowl and top each pepper with 1-2 tablespoons of sauce. Serve immediately!