I love Indian food once in a while and so I like to make lower fat versions of some of my favs. This recipe is one of these favorites! In traditional butter chicken usually has heavy cream, but I lighten this recipe up by using only low-fat Greek yogurt and light coconut milk.
I love my version because it may be low-fat, but by reducing the sauce, it turns out so creamy! It tastes rich without the added calories and you will definitely have leftovers. This recipe also is so easy!! It is a one pot meal and only takes around 15 minutes to cook after marinating. I hope this will be your next favorite Indian “takeout” recipe :)
1.6 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs (6 thighs) - cut int o bite sized pieces
1/2 tbsp Garam Masala
1 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1 can Light Coconut Milk
1/3 cup Tomato Paste
Juice of 1/2 of a Lemon (1 1/2 tbsp of juice)
1/3 cup + 1/2 cup Low-Fat Greek Yogurt
1 tsp Salt
1. Mix in all of the ingredient in the bag, besides the additional 1/2 cup yogurt, and marinade for a minimum of 3 hours.
2. Add chicken with slotted spoon to a large deep sauté pan (extra sauce will come with it) plus add 1/2 cup more of the marinade to the pan. Also, add the extra 1/2 cup yogurt into the pan and stir in until incorporated.
3. Turn the heat on the stove to high heat and bring the chicken mixture to a boil (3-4 min). Then, turn the heat to medium (high simmer) and continue to cook uncovered for around 15-16 minutes or until the sauce reduces 3/4's and thickens!
4. While the chicken is cooking, make your rice on the side by back of pack instructions on the stove or using a rice cooker (I recommend getting a rice cooker…they are the best!)
5. Once the rice is done cooking, serve the butter chicken over the rice and enjoy!