This recipe came together because we had so much leftover bread, we had no idea what to do with it. My Dad wanted to me to make a lot of croutons, but I thought…we would have wayyy too many croutons. I thought, why not make a healthy version of bread pudding?!
I LOVE a good bread pudding! I especially love it when it the bread pudding is hot and you put some fresh whipped cream and/or quality vanilla ice cream. I wanted to make one that wouldn’t make you feel so guilty, but tastes like a yummy dessert that everyone will love! Hope you like it too :)
8 cups Cubbed (1/2 inch pieces) Whole Wheat Italian Bread (I used Calandras)
1 cup 1% Low-Fat Milk (can use all coconut milk if you need to be lactose free)
1 1/2 cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
3 tbsp Pure Maple Syrup
2 - 4oz Snack Containers (or 8 oz) Unsweetened Applesauce
1/3 cup Coconut Sugar (or light brown sugar if you cannot find coconut sugar)
4 tbsp Sliced Oven Roasted Almonds
4 tbsp Currants or Raisins
1. Whisk all the ingredients together, besides the almonds and bread, in a large bowl.
2. Pour the bread and currants into the bowl and mix until the bread is soaked in the mixture and evenly combined.
3. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and then pour the mixture into the dish. Smash the bread into the casserole dish with the wet mixture to make sure all of the bread pieces are properly saturated. Refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
5. Bake for a 15 minutes uncovered. Then, cover with foil, and cook for an additional 35 minutes. Serve with good quality vanilla bean ice cream and/or whipped cream.