Healthier Apple Crisp
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE cooked apples. I never was a big apple pie fan because I loved the filling more. That is when I started to become in love with apple crisp. However...I always found the ones I tried were SOOOO sweet and heavy that I would walk away feeling sick to my stomach. To remedy this problem, I wanted to make my own! I thought to myself that since apples already have such a natural sweetness to them, I could make a healthy version an apple crisp!
This recipe is not only a healthier version of a summer favorite dessert, you can also make the topping and filling can be made the day before! AND it doesn’t taste “healthy”…it is so flavorful and yummy!! YOU MUST get a good quality vanilla ice cream to pair with this dessert. It is a must!!!
1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 tsp Good Quality Bourbon Whisky
5 Grannie Smith Apples - peeled, cored (with an apple corer) and then cut the pieces in half and then half again
1 Fuji Apple cut the same way as the Granny Smith apples
1 tbsp REAL Maple Syrup
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tsp Corn Starch
Butter, Coconut Oil or Crisco Vegetable Shortening for greasing the pan
3/4 cup Old Fashion or Rolled Oats
3/4 cup Chopped Raw Walnuts (optional but HIGHLY recommended...gives a nice crunch)
3 tbsp Coconut Sugar (can substitute dark brown sugar if needed)
1/4 Cup Gluten Free Flour (can use regular All Purpose flour) - I used Cup-4-Cup brand
1 tbsp REAL Maple Syrup
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
3 tbsp Cold Salted Butter Diced
1. Using a paper towel, grease a 9x11 casserole dish. Place your peeled and cut apples in the dish. Add all of the filling ingredients into the dish too and mix well until the sugar has “melted’ into the apples and a sauce has formed. Refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
2. While the filling is refrigerating, you can mix your topping in a small bowl and also place in the fridge.
3. 1 hour and 20 minutes before serving, pull out the apple crisp out of the fridge and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
4. Evenly spread your topping over the apples, pressing it into the filling slightly, and place it in the oven. Cook uncovered for 45-50 minutes or until the top is browned. Then, turn off the temperature, cover the crisp and keep in the oven for an additional 20 minutes.
5. Serve immediately with an amazing vanilla bean ice cream on top.