So I am not gluten free at all, but I like to experiment in this lifestyle/diet and see how I can make things taste as good as full gluten! It is a challenge, but that is why I love it!!! This recipe is one on the list to add to that challenge...which I believe is a "challenge accepted".
Side note: I would totally recommend people adding almond four to their pantry. It has honestly helped me in so many recipes (you will see this if you stalk me on my website). It gives a nutty taste, makes the recipe gluten free (for those who are intolerant or celiac), reduces carbs and helps reduce calories! It is a great alternative that helps with structure in a secret way that you don't have to tell your friends :P
I paired these meatballs with spiralized yellow squash (makes it look like linguini) for a low carb option. However, you can totally serve this over any type of pasta or make a meatball sub with some fresh mozz and a good Italian roll!
These meatballs are great for feeding large gatherings (that are easy and cheap), helping with meal preps throughout the week, or freezing in individual portions for dinners in the future!
Served over yellow squash noodles:
Meatballs serve: 5 people
2 tsp garlic powder
3 garlic cloves - minced
1 medium yellow onion - small chop
1/3 cup almond flour
3/4 cup grated fontina cheese
1/4 cup shredded parm
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp dried basil
1 lb ground beef
1 jar of your favorite tomato sauce
Optional ingredients for ways to serve:
5 medium yellow squash
Pre-made squash noodles
1 lb of pasta
Good quality Italian rolls
1. Pre-heat oven time 350
2. Combine all of the ingredients (not the optional ingredients, cooking spray or tomato sauce) in a medium sized bowl. Using your hands, uniformly incorporate all ingredients.
3. Use a sheet tray and line with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
4. Using your hands, form medium sized meatballs and place on the tray, leaving a little space between each ball. This recipe should make 17 medium sized meatballs.
5. Cook in the oven for 30-35 min or until slightly golden on top.
6. In a large saucepan, add your sauce and add the cooked meatballs to the sauce. Cook on medium until the sauce is heated through (around 2-3 min).
7. Optional: Using the squash and a spiralizer, make squash noodles or take out your favorite pasta! If using squash, do not cook them, leave them in a bowl. If using pasta, cook the pasta according to directions and set aside.
8. Add either the squash or noodles to a dish and top with sauce and 3 meatballs per plate! Enjoy 🙂🙂