This is a cozy recipe that turns a winter soup into an awesome chicken dinner! I love French onion soup and chicken thighs, so I though I would put them together. This recipe WILL NOT disappoint and is a great dish to serve for a family with egg noddles or rice. It will satisfy without the long hours of saving on the stove.
8 Skin On, Bone In Chicken Thighs (Family Pack)
3 large Vidalia onions cut in half and thinly sliced (6 cups)
3 tbsp Light Oil
1 tbsp Butter
1 Packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix
2 cups Low Sodium Beef Broth
2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
6 oz Gruyere Cheese or a Like-Nutty Cheese - grated
Optional Serving Ingredients:
Egg Noddles or Rice
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Using a large sauté pan, add 1 tbsp light oil with the heat on medium high. And add 4 chicken thighs skin side down. Reduce to medium after you add the chicken and cook 4 min or until lightly browned, flip and cook an additional minute and remove. Repeat tis process with the with other 4 thighs and reserve on the side.
3. Using the same large sauté pan, heat 2 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter over medium high heat, add the onions and cook 10 min, stirring occasionally. Add 1 packet onion soup mix and 2 cups low sodium beef broth, stir to incorporate. Bring to a boil, reduce to medium heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Spay a large casserole dish and place your chicken thighs in (skin side up) then top with onion mixture. Evenly pour 2 tbsp balsamic over the top of the chicken.
5. Cook the chicken for 50 minutes. Then, evenly add the cheese to the top of each chicken, reduce the heat to 325 and cook an additional 10 minutes. Serve over egg noodles or rice!