Easy and Healthy Sausage and Peppers
I know that I do not look it, but I am Italian (I inherited my mom's skin). So I grew up with sausage and peppers as being a go-to easy meal for the fam. I wanted to make it even easier and take a stab at making my own version.
This version utilizes frozen peppers, which reduces the cost (fresh bell peppers are expensive) and reduces the extra time you need to chop vegetables! It also is an inexpensive way to feed a lot of people in a healthy way.
In this recipe, I included 3 different ways you can prepare the sausage. Maybe try all three and pick your favorite!
You can make serve this dish as a low carb option by serving it with a side of salad. You can also serve it on a good quality Italian roll with melted mozz or even serve it over pasta! I love the versatility of this meal because I always have leftovers, so I have to get creative. Which ever way you want to serve it, it will be delicious regardless.
1 package of sausage (hot or sweet depending on preference)
1 16oz package frozen peppers
3 medium yellow onions cut in half and thinly sliced (should be half circles)
1/2 cup of your favorite jarred tomato sauce (we make our own)
2 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp light oil
1. Add the oil and cook the onions over medium high heat until slightly browned and wilted. (Around 4 min)
2. Add your frozen peppers and cook on medium heat until thawed and the water has evaporated (around 4 min).
3. Add your sauce, and seasonings and continue to cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally for another 4-5 min or until the same has thickened. Set aside.
4. Cook the sausage...You can cook the sausage 3 ways:
1st way (Grilling):
1. Oil your grill and preheat for 4-5 min on medium high heat.
2. Add your sausage and close the lid. Cook on one side for around 4-5 min or until browned and then flip it and cook on the other side until it also receives some color.
3. Cut the sausage into 1/2 inch pieces and add to the sauce on the stove. Re-heat the sauce and serve!
2nd way (Baked):
1. Preheat your oven to 400.
2. Line a sheet tray with aluminum and spray in with cooking spray.
3. Cook for around 30 min or until lightly browned on both sides, flipping halfway through.
4. Cut up into 1/2 inch pieces and add to the peppers and onions.
3d way (Pan Fried):
1. In a large sauce pan, add about 2 tsp oil or spray the bottom with cooking spray and preheat the pan to medium high heat (around 1 min).
2. Add the sausage links and cook on medium high on one side for around 3 min or until browned and then flip to the other side and cook until also browned.
3. Remove the sausage and cut into 1/2 in pieces and add it back to the pan you just used. Cook the sausage on medium heat until cooked through (around 6-7 min), stirring occasionally.
4. Add cooked sausage to the sausage and peppers and onions. Heat together for a few minutes and serve!
Ideas on how to serve this meal:
1. Low carb option: with a tossed salad
2. On good quality toasted Italian roll with melted fresh mozz or provolone
3. Over pasta