Do you love a creamy mushroom stroganoff, but don’t want to feel heavy and bloated afterwards? This sauce gives this comfort classic a healthy and yummy twist! It not only dairy-free, but it is also packed with protein from tofu! This stroganoff sauce is also a great meal to make for your “meat-less Mondays” or if you are trying to have a plant based meal. I dare you to serve this sauce over egg noodles for your kids and see if they can tell the difference.
Side note...you can just use the base sauce for a cream-free "cream" sauce!
"Cream" Base Sauce Ingredients:
1 - 1 lb package silken tofu
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 3/4 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
Other Ingredients Needed:
1 lb whole criminology mushrooms cut into 1/8 inch slices (not super thin)
1 tbsp canola oil
10 garlic cloves diced (1/4 cup diced)
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp corn starch
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Optional Ingredients/Ideas (to serve the sauce over):
Linguini or fettuccini
1. Blend the "Cream" Base Ingredients in a blender until smooth, set aside. (You can also just use this sauce for a dairy free, protein packed “cream” sauce).
2. Heat the canola oil in a deep dish large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 min, or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the diced garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
4. Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook on medium-high for 3 min, stirring to incorporate. Then, turn the temperature to medium heat and continue to cook for an additional 2-3 min or until all of the mushroom liquid is almost gone, stirring occasionally.
5. Add the "Cream" Base Sauce and stir to full incorporate.
6. Whisk into the sauce: 1/4 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice and 2 tsp corn starch until fully dissolved.
7. Turn the heat to to medium-high and cook for 4-5 min or until thickened, stirring occasionally to make sure the bottom doesn't burn.
8. Serve over linguini/fettuccini, egg noodles or zucchini noodles and top with dairy-free parmesan or regular parmesan if you don't need to be dairy-free!