Ever have a super packed freezer of frozen veggies and ground meat? This recipe is an easy and healthy way to clean that freezer out without spending any more money! It is my version of take out stir fry without the added fat and outrageous amount of salt.
I use ground turkey to make the meal leaner, but this recipe could also be adapted with any other ground meat you have in your freezer. I also had a stir fry veggie bag in our freezer, but you could use frozen peppers and/or other frozen vegetables that are your favorite.
Here are some ways you can serve this dish:
-over rice (jasmine or wild rice are my favorites)
-over cauliflower rice (low carb option)
-in lettuce wraps
-place this filling in carved out zucchini boats and bake them to cook the zucchini
Serves 4 people
Ground turkey (1lb)
1 package frozen stir fry veggies
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tbsp teriyaki
3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp honey plus more to taste
2 tsp chili garlic sauce
1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
1 tbsp canola/vegetable oil
1) Put frozen veggies in one pan with 1/4 cup water and cook on high until it looks like they are defrosted (around 5 min).
2) Add seasonings and sauces to the veggies and cook on medium high until a sauce forms and then turn on low (around 3-4 min).
3) In a separate pan, add oil and cook turkey on medium high heat and cook until fully cooked through, breaking it up while cooking (around 4-5 min).
4) Add turkey to veggies pan and mix together until uniform. Taste and salt and pepper to taste. You may need to add more honey to balance the flavors.
5) Add sesame seeds and cook for 1 minute more.
6) Serve with the recommendations listed above! :)