BBQ Tofu Bowl
Do you like BBQ, but want a meatless Monday? Try out this new bowl I created! I formulated this recipe utilizing all Trader Joe products, but you can substitute using other grocery store products if you cannot get to a Trader Joes.
This recipe is easy, super flavorful and so nutritious! It encompasses nutritious ancient grains, nutrient rich vegetables and protein from the tofu. I know people are against tofu...but by roasting the tofu and having it marinade, it really makes it flavorful and yummy! I had this bowl for dinner, but it can also be a healthy lunch! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did :).
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Cayenne
1 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Jar Trader Joes Carolina BBQ Sauce
1 - 10 oz Package Shredded Carrots
1 - 12 oz Package Broccoli Florets
1 lb Package Firm Tofu Trader Joe’s
1 - 8.8 oz Package 10 Min Cook Farro from Trader Joes (or another pre-cooked farro product)
1 - 8 oz Container Low-Sodium Chicken or Vegetable Broth (if vegetarian)
1 - 16 oz Bag Trader Joe’s Pineapple Tidbits (or another frozen pineapple product), Defrosted and Drained
Cooking Oil Spray
1. Cut the tofu lengthwise. Place each piece on a separate dish and cover each with 1/4 cup of the BBQ sauce. Marinade the two slices in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
3. Line 2 sheet trays with aluminum foil and spray them with cooking oil spray. Place the carrots and broccoli on one sheet and the marinated tofu (sauce included) on the other sheet.
4. Season the broccoli with the extra virgin olive oil, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne. Using your hands, thoroughly mix the broccoli and carrots on the sheet tray.
5. Cook both sheet trays for 50 min - 1 hr or until broccoli is lightly browned. Remove the broccoli tray once finished cooking.
6. Broil tofu for an additional 2-3 min or until slightly browned.
7. While the tofu is broiling, combine 1 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth with 1/2 cup pre-cooked farro and 1/8 tsp salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil with the top on and then reduce the heat to a simmer for 10-12 min, or until tender. Be sure to remove the tofu after 2-3 minutes!! Drain the farro after cooked.
8. Create each bowl with the broccoli carrot mixture, pineapple, farro and tofu. Serve immediately!