I want to call these "low carb dumplings" because they taste like chicken dumplings! These cabbage “dumplings” are also great because they serve a lot of people, or you can have a lot of leftovers.
You would think ground chicken would be dry..but these cabbages are the opposite! They are moist and full of flavor. Need a low-carb option but still craving dumplings? You must try this recipe for a spin!
Makes: 12-13 Cabbage Rolls (depending on the size of the cabbage)
Serves: 4-5 (depending on how many cabbage rolls you make)
1 head of Chinese Cabbage - 1/4 inch of the bottom chopped off, leaves carefully removed and washed
Spray Cooking Oil
1 lb Ground Chicken
1 tbsp Fresh Ginger Root - peeled (using a spoon) and minced
1 - 8oz Pint of Baby Bella Mushrooms - diced (doesn’t need to be perfect)
3 Large Scallions - bottom hairs removed and the rest thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup sliced)
2 Garlic Cloves - minced (around 1/2 tbsp)
1 tbsp Sesame Oil
1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
1 tbsp Honey
1/2 tbsp Chili Garlic Sauce
1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
3 tbsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce (or low sodium tamari for a gluten free option)
1 tbsp Water
Other Sauce Ingredients Needed:
1 tbsp Water
1 tbsp Corn Starch
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spay a large casserole dish with cooking oil spray.
3. Bring a small pot of water to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook 3-4 leaves at a time for 1-2 minutes, or until the stem is malleable to roll. Set leaves on plate on the side for rolling later.
4. In a small bowl, using a whisk, whisk together the sauce ingredients.
5. In a medium sized bowl, using your hands, uniformly mix together the ground chicken, minced ginger, minced garlic, diced mushrooms, sliced scallions, and half of the sauce (reserve the other half of the sauce for later).
6. Assembly: Using your hands, shape the chicken mixture into small ovals that fit the stem of the cabbage leaves. Roll up each cabbage leaf, tucking in the extra leaf at the end so it is a little pouch. Add each stuffed cabbage to the sprayed casserole dish.
7. Add 1 tbsp of water and 1 tbsp of corn starch to the leftover sauce and whisk to combine. Pour the remaining sauce over the stuffed cabbages.
9. Cook in the oven, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Serve immediately with some of the cooking sauce ladled over the cabbages and with your favorite rice dish and/or vegetable.