Everyone loves the old fashion pork chops and applesauce, so wouldn’t it taste good cooked together? I had this idea one night when my grandma brought over pork chops and applesauce to make for dinner. I told her I wanted to try something and she jumped at the opportunity of having me take over in the kitchen. It turned out to be a great success and everyone at dinner loved it!
Not only is this recipe easy, it also tastes like there is added sugar when it is only sweetened from apples! There is no breading and the pork is only lightly browned in a pan before being baked in the oven. This dish is a tasty and healthy way to spice up your pork chop dinner during the fall this year!
6 Bone-In Pork Chops
1-2 Honey Crisp Apples (or your favorite apples) - Thinly Sliced (2 cups worth)
2 Medium Red Onions - diced (around 2 1/4 cup)
1 tbsp Butter
1 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1 tbsp Stone Ground Mustard
Salt and Pepper
2 tbsp Light Oil
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the apple sauce and ground mustard; reserve for later.
3. In a medium sauté pan, add 1 tbsp of butter and sauté the onions for 3-4 min on medium-high heat or until lightly browned and slightly translucent, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the cut apples, turn the heat to medium, cook for 3 minutes and then add the apple cider vinegar to deglaze the pan. Cook for an additional minute and then add your applesauce mixture. Turn off the heat and mix all the ingredients together until uniform; reserve for later.
5. In a large sauté pan, working in batches or using 2 large sauté pans, add 1 tbsp of light oil per pan or per batch and pan fry the pork chops over medium heat. Cook 2 min a side or until lightly browned on each side, seasoning each side with salt and pepper while cooking. Once done cooking, remove from heat.
6. Using the spray oil, grease a large casserole dish. Place the pork chops in the dish and evenly top each pork chop with the cooked apple mixture.
7. Bake for 15 min and then cover with aluminum foil to let it rest for 5 min. Serve immediately after resting.