Carrot cake lovers rejoice with these super moist and delicious carrot cake muffins. I used apple sauce to replace a majority of the fat in the recipe. This lower-fat version tastes anything but low-fat! It tastes like a yummy mini carrot cake! You can also top these muffins with your favorite cream cheese frosting recipe for a slightly more indulgent option. Both are delicious and highly recommended by my friends and family!
Makes 12 Muffins/Cupcakes
2 - 3.5 oz Containers Unsweetened Apple Sauce
3 tbsp Olive Oil
3 tbsp Honey
3/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
1 cup Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/8 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Raisins
1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
2 cups Shredded Carrots (3 medium sized carrots, DO NOT use pre-shredded)
Baking Liner Cups
Your Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting (optional)
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the applesauce, oil, honey, light brown sugar and egg until combined.
3. In another bowl, mix together the dry ingredients until combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients bowl and mix until combined.
5. Add the carrots, raisins, and walnuts and mix until combined.
6. Using a muffin tin place the baking cups and spray them with cooking spray.
7. Fill each cup to the rim with the batter and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.