Embrace Fall with these apple chicken thighs! When you go apple picking, don’t just make apple pie, use the apples in your dinner with this easy recipe that everyone will love! The mustard component in this recipe adds a light savory flavor that balances the sweet/tart apples very nicely in this skillet chicken dish. I also love how easy this dish is to make, but it is FULL delicious fall flavors! Enjoy this dish on a weekend of a weeknight because it is easy enough to make anytime!
Serves: 3-4 (if 2 chicken thighs per person)
6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
3 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 tsp Honey
2 tbsp Canola Oil
1 tbsp Distilled White Vinegar
1 Medium Vidalia Onion - small chopped (1 1/2 cup chopped)
2 Medium Carrots small chopped (1 cup chopped)
3 Celery Stalks sliced in half and thinly sliced (1 cup chopped)
2 Granny Smith Apples - thinly sliced and cut in half (2 1/2 cups sliced)
1 cup Low Sodium Chicken Stock
Egg Noodles or Rice (optional ingredients to serve the chicken over)
1. In a small bowl mix together: dijon, garlic powder, low sodium soy sauce, honey. Evenly spoon the mixture over the 6 chicken thighs.
2. Heat 2 tbsp canola oil over medium high heat in a cast iron pan (can also use a dip dish skillet).
3. Add the chicken, marinade side down. Cook 2 min or until lightly browned. Flip and cook an additional minute. Remove from the pan and reserve for later.
4. Add 1 tbsp white vinegar and scrape the bottom to deglaze pan.
5. Add onions, carrots and celery. Sauté for 3 min or until the onions become translucent, stirring occasionally. Add apples, low sodium chicken stock and add the chicken back to the pan (nestle chicken evenly into the apple and vegetable mixture).
6. Cook, covered, on medium heat for 7 min. Uncover and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
7. Turn off the heat and let sit on the stove for 5 minutes. Serve over egg noodles or rice (I served mine over egg noodles)!