Italian Stuffed Pork Chops
Who needs steak when you can have a juicy, succulent Italian pork chop?! These chops are anything but dry. They are fully of savory flavors from the prosciutto and tomato pesto and are also cheesy from the mozzarella. Serve with an Italian dressed salad and some crunchy bread and you are sure to have very happy dinner guests.
Serves 6-8 people
4 Thick (around 1.5 inch) Center Cut Pork Chops with bone in (have the butcher cut a pocket for you)
2 tbsp Light Oil
Salt and Cracked Black Pepper
1 - 12 oz Jar of Roasted Red Peppers
8 Pieces of Prosciutto
1 - 8 oz Ball of Mozzarella - sliced
8 Leaves of Fresh Basil
1 Small Jar of Tomato Pesto (red pesto)
2 Tbsp. Plain Panko Bread Crumbs - divided (or GF bread crumb)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using a 12 inch cast iron skillet, heat 2 tbsp light oil on medium high heat. Season the tops of all 4 chops generously with salt and pepper. Place the chops, seasoned side down, in the pan and cook for 2 minutes, or until the meat has turned an opaque tan. Flip, season this side with salt and pepper, and cook for an additional minute. Remove the meat from the pan, place the meat on a sheet tray and reserve the pan on the stove for later (you don’t have to wash it).
3. Stuff each piece of meat with with half of a roasted red pepper, 1 piece of mozzarella cheese, 2 pieces of prosciutto and 2 pieces of basil.
4. Top each piece of meat with 2 tsp tomato pesto (evenly cover the meat) and 1/2 tbsp plain panko bread crumbs.
5. Carefully place each stuffed chop back in the pan and place the skillet in the oven. Bake for 40 min or until internal temp reaches 145. Remove, cover with foil and let rest 10 min to raise the internal temperature to 150. Cut the chops in half (close to the bone) and serve to friends and family!