Ever want an easy one pan meal that is also full of flavor? This sheet tray meal will not only satisfy your taste buds, it will also satisfy a large family and/or friend gathering. It is a great “all-in-one” meal that will allow socializing at a gathering and not slaving away in the kitchen.
This meal is also a great healthy option as it includes highly nutritious sweet potatoes and kale. If this meal is too large, you can make a smaller portion by cutting the ingredients in half. Lastly, it is super easy to clean up, since it is cooked on aluminum! I hope you enjoy this dish full of fall flavors.
Serves 8-10, but you can serve 4-5 if the recipe is cut in half
4 Sweet Potatoes or Yams- peeled and medium sized cubed
1 Bunch of Kale - leaves removed from the stems and rough chopped
16 Mix of Sweet and Spicy Sausage (or you can just use sweet if you cannot handle heat)
3 Small Yellow Onions- cut in half and thinly sliced (around 2 1/2 cups)
2 Honey Crisp Apples- thinly sliced and then chopped (around 3 cups chopped)
Canola Oil Spray
Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Using a large sauté pan, heat to medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook 3 min on one side, flip, and cook an additional 3 min on another side. (Pre-cooking help to hold the casing together when cutting the sausage into slices to put on the sheet tray).
3. Line a sheet tray with aluminum foil and spray with canola oil. Place your cut sweet potatoes on the tray and spray the top of the potatoes with the extra virgin oil spray. Evenly season with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook the sweet potatoes for 30 minutes and keep the oven on once the potatoes are removed.
4. Line another sheet with aluminum foil. Place half of the potatoes on the newly lined sheet tray. Evenly divide the kale, then top with the sausage, then the apples and finally, top with the onions. Spray the top of each sheet tray with the extra virgin olive oil spray and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
5. Cook the two sheet trays for 45-50 minutes or until the onions are starting to brown, swap the trays halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking of both trays. Serve immediately with good quality bread and a dressed salad!