Easy Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Do not open that can of Campbells, make this easy and flavorful soup instead! You don’t even need to cook the chicken, this recipe uses flavorful rotisserie chicken. This recipe also doesn’t have to cook on the stove for hours, it can be ready in 30 minutes with the prep included. It is a great “last minute” meal for the family that everyone will love. This soup is also a great meal for those with food allergies; it doesn’t include any dairy and you can make it gluten free by using gluten free pasta. I hope this soup inspires the inner chef inside of you and makes you never pick up another canned chicken soup.
4 cups Chopped Rotisserie Chicken (1 1/2 chickens) - a mix of both white and dark meat
2 cups Thinly Sliced Baby Carrots
2 tbsp Light Olive Oil
1 3/4 cups (5 Celery Stalks) - cut 1/2 inch off the bottom, slice in half and then thinly sliced
2 Medium Red Onions - small copped (3 cups chopped)
1/2 tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tbsp Lawry’s Lemon Pepper
1/2 tbsp Generic Dried Italian Seasoning
1 tsp salt + add 1/2 tsp at the end with the chicken and spinach
1/2 cup Lemon Juice or 3 large lemons (keep the peels!)
2 - 32 oz Containers of Low Sodium Chicken Stock
1 - 5 oz Bags of Spinach
1 Box Orzo Pasta (or gluten free pasta if you are GF)
Good Quality Bread + Butter
Cracked Black Pepper
1. Heat 2 tbsp light oil over medium high heat in a large pot. Once hot, add the celery, carrots and onions. Cook for about 4 min or until the onions start to soften, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the chicken stock, seasonings, lemon juice, lemon peels and bring to a boil. Then, cover turn the heat down to medium low (a little more than a simmer) and cook for 10 minutes.
4. While the soup is simmering, make the orzo as packaged.
5. After the 10 minutes of simmering, remove the lemons peels. Turn the soup down to low heat, add the 2 bags spinach (you may need to add a little at a time) and the chopped chicken. Mix the ingredients into the soup to properly wilt the spinach, add 1/2 tsp salt and cook for 5 minutes.
6. To serve: put 2 spoonfuls of orzo on a bottom of a bowl, top with the soup and finish with freshly grated parmesan cheese, cracked black pepper and a nice piece of buttered bread!