Buffalo Smashed Potatoes
I’m always looking for new ways to eat buffalo sauce…and this one is up there as one of my favorites. One night I had potatoes to cook with and didn’t want the standard roasted potatoes and didn’t want heavy mashed potatoes. That was when I also started to have a craving for buffalo and remember seeing a recipe in Chrissy Teigan’s cookbook. I reviewed her idea and then set to do my own thing! That’s how I get ideas…I review recipes online or in cookbooks and then go off on a tangent of my own :)
This recipe is great because it satisfies my buffalo sauce craving without dealing with anything fried. You also get to enjoy blue cheese sauce without feeling guilty because it is made of a majority greek yogurt! Be careful with these…when you set them down on the table, THEY WILL GO FAST!
Serves: 4 as a side dish
1 - 24oz Bag Mini Potatoes
Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray
Granulated Garlic Powder
1/2 cup Steves & Eds Buffalo Wing Sauce
Light Blue Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup Crumbled Blue Cheese Off Of a Block (not pre-crumbled!)
1/4 cup Light Buttermilk
3 tbsp Mayo
1/4 + 1tbsp Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
2 tbsp Milk
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tbsp Distilled White Vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add the potatoes to a large pot. Add water 3/4 the way full and salt the water. Cover the pot and bring to the potatoes to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium high heat and cook until fork tender around 4-5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Place the potatoes on the sheet tray and using the back of a heavy glass, smash the potatoes onto the sheet tray (do not smash down too hard that they fall apart). Evenly spray the potatoes with the olive oil spray and season with garlic salt and granulated garlic powder.
4. Place the sheet in the oven and bake for 50 minutes or until sufficiently browned and crispy.
5. While the potatoes are baking, make the light blue cheese sauce. Add all of the sauce ingredients into a medium bowl and mix until the ingredients are fully incorporated.
6. When the potatoes are finished, using a large microwave safe bowl, put in the buffalo sauce and microwave for 15 seconds. Add the potatoes to the bowl and toss to evenly sauce the potatoes. Place the newly sauced potatoes on a platter and drizzle a little bit of the blue cheese sauce over the top. Serve immediately with more blue cheese sauce on the side.